Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another Digg Crusader Caught As Lion Hypocrite



The recent Digg revolution started when Raisedinhell alleged that her submission was stolen by "power user" Pavelmah (see her side of the story here). Understandably many Digg users rallied to her cause. While 99% of the Digg users expressed genuine sympathy for Raisedinhell, there's that shady 1% who used this as an opportunity to further their own agenda.

ConeBone6t9 for example submitted a video showing the stats of the Digg users who frequent the front page. Lots of people voted for ConeBone6t9's story because they were pissed at how Raisedinhell's story was stolen by a Power User.

ConeBone6t9 also ignores duplicate checks

Here's a screenshot of what happens when I tried to submit one of ConeBone6t9's submissions. It turns out, he ignored not one, not two, but THREE duplicate pictures. Here's a larger version of the screenshot with the middle parts edited out.

Before he submitted his protest video, ConeBone6t9 has submitted only six stories. Three of which came from the same obscure site Termu.com, and all of them are older than Ted Stevens:
Double standard?

So let's review.
  • Ignores dupcliate checks.
  • Submits a significant amount of stories from the same site.
  • Rides the coattails of controversey to get his one and only popular submission.
  • Leaves the same comments over and over again to promote his submissions.
  • Only joined 2 months ago (10/08) and suddenly has a strong opinion about the "future of Digg"? Sonds more like the reincarnation of a pissed-off banned user.
Some of the very same Digg purists who supported Raisedinhell may consider this to be the actions of a shameless spammer.

But do I think he's a spammer? Not really. He's just some Joe with a new website who saw an opportunity to exploit a good pitchforking. It took a lot of balls for a story stealer to jump into the middle of a controversy started by story stealing. Hats off to you sir.

1 comment:

  1. ConeBone6t9 here:

    this is conebone69. termu.com is a site where I usually uploaded mirrored stuff. I did however submit that lion picture knowing it was a duplicate. But the way I understood the digg algorithm was that any content that doesn't get on the front page within 24 hours is finished. It wont get on the front page after 24 hours, no matter how many diggs it receives.

    so seeing how the previous pictures of the lions never made it to the FP I decided to submit my own. Unfortunately it never made it to FP either.

    And I wasn't trying to show off termu.com. It was just a website I made for hosting pictures for myself. No one else can use that websites anyways, you need to create an account to use it, and the accounts have been disabled. So there would be no point for me to market this website.

    I did join not long ago. But I had been visitng digg for a very very long time. And I decided to join when I saw how it were the same people who were having their stories dugg up to the front page. I didn't really care about submitting stories. I had nothing to gain.

    none of this matters now, Digg decided to close my account. I asked for a reason. They replied with "we reserve the right to close an account without any explanation." By closing my account they deleted the story about my video on "digg is rigged". So I was done with digg.

    Now I'm a reddit fan. 90% of the stuff that hits digg's front page is what was on reddit a day ago.
    http://www.reddit.com/user/ConeBone6T9/

    Lol I don't know how I stumbled upon yor post.

    ReplyDelete